Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Pity Party and Redemption

Birthdays are always a bloody caution in our house.  I never know whether to go all out or not get sucked into the consumerism of it all.
So yesterday, my birthday, started out as a dud.  I had to take the puppy to the vet which went fabulous.  Clean bill of health and they hit me up for a $5 donation to the local shelter for this photo.
An English Shepherd and her girl
Totally worth it.  Love the pink boots on Critter.
So I run my errands which include buying my own birthday cake because Apple Man didn't make me one, but he is hit or miss anyway.  I was going to buy myself all kinds of presents too but I ran out of time.
So I get home when the kids' bus gets here.  Once the bus comes, my day is over until bedtime.  So, after getting the homework train started and out of the station, I remember the last thing Apple Man said as he walked out the door on my birthday.  "Oh honey, there's a big bag of scraps from that deer I killed last weekend, could you grind that up into hamburger and we can have hamburgers or meatballs for dinner"
Did he forget it's my birthday and the whole meat thing has me queasy to begin with.  I came to Montana a vegetarian 19 years ago.  So he just asked this Northern California Hippie Girl to grind meat for dinner on her birthday.  That's love I tell ya.
So this was my birthday 'chore'.  (Scroll down if you are squeamish).


Lovely.  Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate fresh meat but this?  On my birthday?
So the kids and I had a fabulous hamburger supper and store bought cake for dessert.  They sang me happy birthday and I cracked open a beer because what else ya gonna do?

Luckily, after Apple Man got home, he had this:
That man never ceases to amaze me.
In the bag?  A new pair of flannel jammies!  God I love that man!  So he has redeemed himself. . . again.

No comments:

Post a Comment